Revised Humanitarian Needs Overview and Humanitarian Response Plan templates, 2019
Following three months of extensive consultations, we are pleased to share with you the revised Humanitarian Needs Overview (HNO) and Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP) templates with an associated step-by-step guide. This new package complements existing IASC HPC Guidance and incorporates good practices and developments achieved over recent years on needs assessments and response planning, as well as commitments made at the World Humanitarian Summit and Grand Bargain.
They aim to improve the relevance and effectiveness of humanitarian response by:
- providing a more holistic and inter-sectoral analysis of crisis-affected people’s needs and their severity, vulnerabilities, causes, and risks, including a disaggregation based on age, gender, disability and other context-relevant diversity characteristics;
- strengthening the prioritization of the response based on the needs analysis together with an analysis of the most appropriate and feasible response options, putting the emphasis on combined multi-sectoral and sectoral responses;
- formulating measurable and attainable strategic objectives that reflect the desired humanitarian outcomes to achieve from the prioritized response; and
- specifying key indicators, frequency, and roles and responsibilities for regular monitoring of the crisis situation, needs, and achievements of the response throughout the year.
- to the extent possible to improve coherence between humanitarian, development and peacebuilding frameworks through collective outcomes.