The Emergency Directors Group
The Emergency Directors convene as the Emergency Directors Group (EDG) and focus on current crises and what is required to meet the urgent strategic and operational needs on the ground. They are chaired by the Director of Operations and Advocacy of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), Ms. Reena Ghelani, and meet in person once a year, and regularly on to address urgent crises.
The EDG is accountable to the Emergency Relief Coordinator and the Inter-Agency Standing Committee and links with the OPAG on policy matters through the chairs. The work of the EDG focuses on addressing operational issues of ongoing or imminent emergencies rather than on system-wide normative/policy issues.
The Emergency Directors are responsible for:
- Advising the IASC on operational issues of strategic concern
- Preparing options and recommendations for the IASC on operational issues
- Mobilizing agency and Global Cluster resources to address strategic and operational challenges and gaps, in support of Humanitarian Coordinators (HCs) and Humanitarian Country Teams (HCTs)
- Considering future high-risk scenarios and determining appropriate early actions
- Supporting the IASC Principals with the activation and implementation of a system-wide Scale-Up Protocols
- Monitoring and providing field support, including through capacity building and guidance
Carrying out Operational Peer Reviews through the Peer-2-Peer project.