EW Workstream Update - Risk, EW and EA Sub-group - 13 October 2016
IASC REFERENCE GROUP FOR RISK, EW AND PREPAREDNESS
WORKSTREAM UPDATE – RISK, EW AND EA – THU 13 OCT 2016
Sub-Group - Early Warning, Early Action and Readiness Report
OVERVIEW – WHO, WHAT & WHY
WHO ARE WE?
- An inter-agency group of early warning analysts drawn from the following IASC partners: ACAPS, FAO, IOM, OCHA, OHCHR, UNDP, UNHCR, UNICEF, UN Women, WFP and WHO.
- WFP traditionally provides staff to coordinate the group (scheduling, calling notices, agendas, minutes, chair). WFP also facilitates the EW, EA & Readiness (EWEAR) Report process and compiles the written text.
- There has been a proposal from OCHA to widen membership to include more NGOs. I also briefed the START network in August on the IASC EW group’s activities and production of the EWEAR Report – Luke Caley was keen to join the EW group.
WHAT DOES THE EW SUB-GROUP DO?
- Monthly network calls to share analysis and discuss risks from an IA perspective.
- Produce the 6-monthly EWEAR Report for the EDG on behalf of the Reference Group, which is a mandated requirement on the Reference Group.
WHY DO WE PRODUCE THE EWEAR REPORT?
- The subject of an ongoing discussion, in an attempt to clarify and prioritise the customer and determine what they want so that the product can be tailored to meet that requirement.
- Primary client is the EDG, who then distribute up (to the ERC) and down (to RCs, HCs and field staff) as well as across respective agencies.
- The EDG use the report to prioritise their activities through the 6-month outlook period.
- Feedback from ERC and EDG is that they value the objective, impartial, secondary check and balance on established existing conventional reporting chains.
- Also informs (via OCHA) the CERF/underfunding mechanism.
JUNE EWEAR REPORT –
Report available at IASC website: https://interagencystandingcommittee.org/reference-group-risk-early-warning-and-preparedness/content/iasc-early-warning-early-action-and
NOVEMBER EWEAR REPORT - PROGRESS
- On track – 60% draft for the F2F analytical meetings in Rome/FAO next week. Rolls into 100% draft by Fri 28 Oct which goes back to the group for quick endorsement and final comments, then to both co-chairs on Thu 3 Nov for onwards staffing to the EDG Secretariat for the EDG on Fri 11 Nov.
- Risk – tight deadlines remain subject to late inputs and spoilers from 1) non-active participants at early stages and/or 2) field sensitivities.
For more details on lessons learned and challenges, please follow the link: